This week I was asked to make up some party favors for a large group of women. I was really having a hard time (on a budget) trying to figure out what would be fun and exciting. This body lotion was what I came up with. After pricing lotion at Bath and Body Works, I discovered I could make lotion AND add chocolates for the same price per person as a smaller bottle of lotion from the store.
I got all of the ingredients at my local Hobby Lobby store. However, I know that it is not everywhere so if you want these same supplies you can order off their website. They have a weekly coupon you can use and often the supplies will be on special at 50% for a whole week.
Items Needed For This Project:
- Body Lotion Base: I used the "Something Fabulous" brand from Hobby Lobby
- Fragrance: They have about a dozen different fragrances to choose from.
- Color or Dye: They come in larger containers individually or smaller containers with 3 colors together.
- Container: Hobby Lobby had so many shapes and sizes to choose from. Lots of stores will carry these. You could also recycle from old containers from around your house!
- Optional: Vitamin E, Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter. I used the Vitamin E in all the lotion I made. The coca and shea I added to the lotion in the video. It all depends on you and what you prefer. Adding the cocoa and shea is an added cost. The lotion base was great all by itself just to let you know.
- Labels: I used Avery round labels. You can find these at office supply store or Wal Mart. If you go to avery.com you can customize your to your liking. OR you can create and print your own on to regular paper and glue to your bottle.
The recipe for this lotion is on the lotion base container. Basically you heat the desired amount until thin. Do not over heat! (If using cocoa butter, shea butter, & Vitamin E: the package will tell you how much to add per oz. of lotion base ) After heating base, add fragrance and dye. (packages will tell you to add qty of drops per oz. of lotion base using)
Pour into desired containers. Let cool before putting lid or cap on container. Add label or tags!
This is a great idea for a cheaper party favor. It would be a great idea as an activity at a party! This same company had supplies for Body Wash, and Soap! I am ready to try the Body Wash and soap as well.
I hope you have fun with this. Experiment and see what great lotion you can create!