My Button!

Followers

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

DIY Flag Painted Shoes

I love Holidays.  It's hard to say I have an absolute favorite but I can say the 4th of July (Independence Day) is definitely pretty high up on the list.  I have so many good memories on this holiday spent with friends and family.  


Every year I am on the hunt for patriotic clothing, accessories, etc. for the family as we like to go all out.  Shoe painting is a particular love of mine so I thought you might enjoy this tutorial.  


ITEMS NEEDED FOR THIS PROJECT:
  • Shoes:  I used a knock off TOMS shoe.  Stores I have seen them: Rue 21, Forever 21, Wet Seal, Payless Shoes, Wal Mart, Target, Kohls, and Five Below.
  • Craft Paint:  I used acrylic craft paint from Michaels.
  • Paint Brushes: craft brushes will do.
  • Star Stencil


TIPS!
  • If you haven't painted on shoes before or unsure about ruining your shoes..... Practice, practice, practice!  I always recommend you practice on paper before you wreck a pair of shoes.  
  • Paint:  there are many different brands and they are all different in consistency.  It is hard to paint with thick or globby paint.  If your paint is too thick, add a bit of water to thin to desired consistency.  It will make a huge difference!
  • Take it slow!  Don't rush your project.  Enjoy it!  I like to turn on the tv and watch a movie or turn on music and just paint away.  Music always gets my creative juices going!
  • The Paint will not come off.  Lot's of people ask if it wears off or washes off.  Nope!  I even put mine in the washing machine.  I usually spray mine with a water proofing spray but honestly, I am not sure if it helps or not.  I figure it can't hurt.  


I would love to see your shoes!  Please share photos with me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or email.  Links found at the top of this page!


No comments:

Post a Comment