My Button!

Followers

Monday, October 28, 2013

DIY TuTu Costumes






Last year, my niece who is in college sent me a picture of herself on Halloween.  She threw together an adorable costume that got my creative thinking going.  Most girls/teens/adults love tutus!  They are the perfect addition to just a few accessories to make a quick and adorable costume.  You can make so many different costumes with a tutu! 
....to find costume ideas using a tutu, go to Pinterest and search tutu costumes.  I fell in love with so many it was hard to choose favorites!  Native American Princess, Super Heros, Disney Princess', Mario & Luigi, Cat, Witch, Scarecrow, Pumpkin, etc...

Items Needed For This Project:
  • Elastic:  Length will be determined by your waist size.  I used 1" wide elastic.  You can purchase elastic at any store that carries sewing supplies.
  • Tulle:  aka Netting.  I chose to use the 6" tulle so I wouldn't have to take the time to cute Netting in to strips.  The tulle is already cut in the desired width.  I used 70 yards for my tutu.  Purchasing tips:  It is cheaper to buy large rolls of tulle if you can find the desired color in the wedding section of Michaels, Hobby Lobby, or Joann.  I also purchased from the ribbon section when it was 50% off.  Otherwise always download your coupons and use them!
  • Misc:  scissors, safety pin
 I made this t-shirt by using an existing black shirt and iron on patch from my craft store.  I've seen them at Hobby Lobby and Joann.  Her mask was just fun foam.  I bought it at Target for $1 but if you already have fun foam you could print out a pattern from Google images.  



 Originally, I was planning to just have tights and these adorable extra high top Converse.  But when I went to Hot Topic to get Hello Kitty ears, I found these cute Batman socks I couldn't pass up!






 The Hello Kitty Headband was purchased from Hot Topic.  You can find similar and different color options at stores like Claires, and Target.  I printed out the Hello Kitty name on Iron On Tranfer paper.  You can find it at Wal Mart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby & Joann.  You could also just use sticker paper for one time use.  Adding red lips and pearls gave her the really cute added touch. 






I wanted to say, this idea has no age restriction.  There is no body type restriction either.  This is just a girl thing that is fun for anyone.  Have fun and be creative.  As always, I would love to see your finished products.  Send me an email or tag me on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter!

2 comments:

  1. So cute! Definetly want to try this! Is the hello kitty writing metalic? If yes did you need a special transfer paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what should go in the jar is quotes that you have used

    ReplyDelete