My Button!

Followers

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Instagram Cookies

A few weeks ago I was asked to do a segment for our local Fox TV Morning Show on things you can do with Instagram Photos.  I had a lot of fun with this challenge.  My favorite idea presented that day was Instagram Photo Cookies.  They turned out adorable and were very yummy!
I posted pics (on Instagram) of my cookies and received many requests for a tutorial.  I am really excited to share this fun idea and very good recipes I used.

Sugar Cookie Recipe

3 Cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Cup unsalted butter
1 1/3 Cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:  In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.

Using stand mixer & paddle attachment.  Beat butter until smooth, about 2 minutes.  Add sugar and continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition, then add vanilla.

Turn the mixer off.  Add the flour and then beat just until combined.  

Remove the dough, shape into a disk about 6 inches wide and wrap securely in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate the dough for a minimum of 1 hour.  

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove the dough from the fridge and cut in half.  Roll half the dough until it is about 1/2" thick.  Using cookie cutters, cut out your desired shapes and place on a cookie sheet about 2" apart.  Repeat rolling and cutting with remaining pieces of dough.  (Leftover scraps can be re-rolled.)

If your dough gets too soft refrigerate the cut-out cookies for 15 minutes.  (This helps them keep their shape when baking)

Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes until pale golden.  Transfer them to a cooling rack.  Frost & decorate as desired.   

(If you refrigerate the dough over night.  You will need to let stand at room temperature until workable.)




I ordered this cookie cutter set (here)  The range of sizes was perfect for my instagram photos.  

Frosting Recipe: (Buttercream Icing for Sugar Cookies)

4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
6 tablespoons Heavy Cream

Directions:
Use stand mixer with paddle attachment.  Cream together butter and vanilla.  Add powdered sugar and pinch of salt.  Beat slowly until smooth and creamy.  Add in heavy cream.  Beat at medium-high for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.  

Edible Instagram Photos:

I took my photos (already sized at 4"X4") to my local grocery store bakery.  They have a printer that will scan the photos and print them on sugar paper.  My bakery charged $5 per sheet.  
Tips: 
- Wal-Mart does this but I tried 4 stores and all 4 said their machines were broken.  
-Call your local grocery store bakery and see if they will do it.  
-Store the photos in large Ziplock bag to keep air tight.  If not, the sugar paper will dry out and crumble.
  












No comments:

Post a Comment